Who I Am
Alex is joint owner of East Coast Divers and began diving at the age of 13. He is the lead service technician, director of technical education and part of the Redbull Cliff Diving U.S. safety team.
Alex has been teaching technical diving since 2006. His technical diving career started in the Florida Keys. Most of his diving from the 110′ – 180′ depth ranges was to find new spearfishing spots. He started diving with other local deep spearfishermen on wrecks and deep reefs. During this time Alex was also teaching Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures courses along with rebreather courses at the International Diving Career Institute at Hall’s where he was acting course director for their instructor college.
Over the next 3 years Alex made a point to explore some of the less known deep fishing trawlers and airplane wrecks. Along with the lesser known wrecks he also did extensive exploration on more famous wrecks such as the Spiegel Grove, Northern Light, Thunderbolt, USS Wilkes-Barre, USS Curb and more.
Alex Returned to Boston in 2009 and immediately began moving into deeper and deeper local diving. Between 2010 and 2014 Alex earned his full cave diver certification As well as his cavern instructor certification. He has continued to cave dive each year in both Mexico and Florida. He also became a huge proponent for sidemount diving and teaches sidemount diving techniques to dozens of students each year. Alex has also become a leading member of the rebreather diving community in New England as a dealer for both the mainstream Hollis Prism 2 CCR and the unique German SF-2 that can switch easily from either a backmount or very cool sidemount rebreather.
After an unexpected Decompression Sickness episode and subsequent study that identified him to have a PFO he has re-evaluated decompression diving and started to consider techniques for the broader masses. Now he focuses his time researching and experimenting with new ways to increase diver conservancy and safety during technical dives.
- NAUI Course Director
- SSI Dive Control Specialist Instructor
- SSI XR Instructor through Limited Trimix / Cavern Instructor / Advanced Wreck Instructor
- TDI / SDI Instructor Trainer
- TDI Advanced Nitrox / Deco Procedures Instructor
- TDI Technical Sidemount Instructor Trainer
- TDI Explorer Rebreather Instructor Trainer
- SSI Basic Freediving Instructor
- TDI Nitrox Blending Instructor Trainer
- TDI Visual Inspection Procedure / O2 Cleaning Instructor Trainer
- First Aid, CPR, O2 Admin, AED Instructor Trainer. Currently holding certs in NAUI, SDI/TDI and React Right.
- Lead Repair Technician. Certified to service over 20 brands of equipment including Aqualung, Apex, XS Scuba, Sherwood, Genesis, Atomic, Oceanic, Hollis and many more…
Alex is running this shop in an amazing way! He is an extremely confident and skilled diver and has a true passion for this sport!
Highly recommend him!
Alex is friendly, knowledgeable and supportive. If you’re thinking about diving – I recommend him & ECD
Alex Dulavitz is an outstanding teacher who really took the time to make sure we understood exactly what we were doing and why. He explained safety procedures and when he took us out for our open water dives, we felt completely safe with them.
Definitely recommend him!
Thank you Alex. I could not have done this without you. No one could have provided a greater service. I shall be forever grateful